HOME

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Some people have a really hard time apologizing. Why that is...


(So sad - and one of the prettiest songs ever written, IMHO) 
Do you find it difficult to say “I’m sorry?”
A lot of people struggle with apologies and a recent study may shed some light on that phenomenon. Not apologizing just feels better. Two groups of volunteers agreed to write letters addressing something they had done wrong. While the group who apologized had a better sense of integrity after the fact, the group who refused to apologize felt more empowered and had a greater sense of self-worth. 

Tyler Okimoto, author of the study, says we do find that apologies make apologizers feel a little better. However, refusing to apologize makes some people feel a LOT better and more in control of the situation. Okimoto also says that a voluntary apology feels a lot better than an apology on demand, which tends to make the wrong-doer feel threatened or coerced. 


1 comment:

  1. As my entire life revolves around "It's all about me". I feel that apologies are not something that I will need to familiarize myself with.However Anne... feel free to ask. I might just make an exception for you!

    ReplyDelete

Post your Wisdom