HOME

Monday, June 23, 2014

Think you can talk your way out of that traffic ticket? Think again. What NOT to say...


If you get pulled over by the police – save the excuses. 

Officer Steve Pomper, author of “Is There a Problem, Officer?” says people rarely talk themselves out of a ticket but often talk themselves into one. He says wasting an officer’s time or annoying them with bad excuses could result in the ticket when a when a warning was up for grabs. Here is what NOT to say:

• "Whatever." Officers feel disrespected when drivers dismiss them with a casual "whatever." That disrespect virtually ensures that they will receive tickets.

• "I wasn’t speeding." Statements such as "I wasn’t speeding" or "I didn’t run that light" suggest you are accusing the officer of lying. 

• "I know the mayor." Never say to a police officer, "I know the mayor," "I know your captain" or "I know my rights." Police officers aren’t afraid of your powerful friends, and attempting such a power play increases the odds that the officer will write a ticket.

• "I’m calling my lawyer." Police officers deal with lawyers all the time and are not frightened by them. It’s even worse to tell a police officer that you are a lawyer or are married to one -- some police officers may relish the opportunity to write you a ticket.

• "I’m headed to the DMV." You would be amazed how often police officers hear that one when they pull over a vehicle that has an expired inspection sticker or registration. The one "I’m headed to" that might get you out of a ticket is "I’m headed to the hospital" -- but only if someone in the car truly looks injured, ill or about to give birth.

• "Others were driving faster." A police officer wouldn’t let a burglar go just because other burglars have gotten away with their crimes. Making this argument shows a lack of contrition, increasing the odds that the officer will write a ticket.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post your Wisdom